Monday 17 September 2012

København

I have made a pit stop through to Denmark to visit my host sister Ditte. She lived with my family from 98/99.

In a nutshell, she arrived June 98 and I left for Belgium in December 98 so we had about 6 months together.

We haven't seen each other in 13 years and when we lived in NZ I was trying to complete Bursary , etc and any free time was spent with my then boyfriend Kieran so we didn't really spend that much time together so both of us were feeling a little hesitant in our meeting again.

I was met at the trainstation and we went to drop my bags off at Ditte's work - she works in the town hall in the Fredericksburg Kommun. She still had a little work to do so I was going to wander the streets a bit and hopefully find some cream for my damn finger.

I have to tell you about this, it was this amazing random lift, that used to be for everyone but little old ladies got stuck on it and someone tried to take skis on it and broke their arm or something.

Anyway it is this eternally moving wooden lift that you basically jump on and jump off and it doesn't stop. I just love it although it took me a couple of tries to get on.




I have to say, for me it was like we have been in contact this whole time. It has been amazing reconnecting with Ditte and getting to meet her lovely hubbie Christian and her gorgeous little boy William.

I don't know why I thought I could do an alcohol free Europe I think I was deluding myself really hee hee but it was nice to have tapas and a few wines on the Friday, on the Saturday a little bit of shopping.

Ditte and Christian have this great place although thanks to my parents I didn't realise it was four floors up with no lift but luckily I am built well so managed to walk up the stairs with my 27kg pack.

Hand update- before I bound it
 And now come gratutious family shots
Ditte and William


Soooo cute

Christian and Ditte
On Sunday we headed out to Bregentveld Estate where my ancestors came from in Denmark. It was so peaceful and beautiful there and I felt that I should be wearing a gown befitting the period and gracefully walking around the estate. I am so pleased that I have had a chance to visit, and to connect with a little of my family history.














Apparently William wanted to push Daddy in the pram!

No comments:

Post a Comment