Monday 5 November 2012

Barb visits Toronto and too much chocolate

I got a care package!!! From my lovely friends the Hui's and in it I got pineapple lumps (nom) and Whittakers chocolate, which is my favourite brand of chocolate in the world, as well as other goodies and NZ magazines. It was so nice to get a little taste of home and I have to say did make me miss home!

I am not proud to say I basically ate the chocolate in one sitting. It was so morish I just couldn't NOT eat it!
Last week it was Halloween, the Canadians do not go all out like the Americans do, but they definitely do more than us Kiwis. I'd quite like to start doing more decorations at home in NZ I think. I'm not sure if they make pumpkins the same in NZ as they do here so that is something I am going to have to investigate.

Here are a few snaps from some houses along my street and neighbourhood.





My friend Barb was in town, actually she is originally my mum's friend but is mine too, she was the original "second mother" as I've known here my entire life!

Anyway it was not the loveliest of days in Toronto - and in fact we've been having a few shockers recently, I think its the sideways of being near Sandy.

Anyway we walked around in the retail concourse underground. I should probably explain that - the weather gets so bad and so cold here in Toronto that the centre of the city's retail district is all connected underground by what is called the Retail Concourse - you can stay underground for hours like a fashion addicted mole, popping up only every now and again. The subway is down there as well so there is no need to go up , except to remind yourself that fresh air is indeed cold and awesome.

They even had maps, thank goodness because Barb and I got a little lost, mainly my fault as I'd not done the whole network before.

We also purchased some gorgeous Danier leather jackets - that shop will be my downfall and my saviour!!

We also hit the CN Tower which said it was the tallest tower in the world for 37 years - but I thought the Sky Tower was tallest for a while, anyway those years overlapped so I shall have to look into that for sure.
 It was great to see Barb and have an awesome day just wandering around, chatting, having a YUM steak up the tower for dinner and a couple of wines!
View from the Tower

My butt isn't actually that big that's the bears knee


Barb also brought over with her a Christmas cake from my mum which I carried around all day. It is bloody huge and heavy about 3 kgs and what a pain. It is so solid that it is currently sitting sideways in a cupboard and not dropping or moving an inch. It better be an awesome cake - considering I don't eat Christmas cake or wheat flour this is going to be an exception!


I've actually carved a pumpkin too for the first time but will explain more in my next update.

On a final note, Hurricane Sandy has been through and has caused more than a little devastation. I have to say that I hand it to the servicemen who guard the memorial to the unknown soldier - they stood their during the storm and he was not alone.

Of course I'm not sure what happened when the weather got worse and one would hope they would lead by example and not protect a monument over their own lives, but the initial thought was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment