Tuesday 6 November 2012

Nightlights and John Key's comments

Recently I haven't enjoyed writing  my blog as much as I did in Sweden and I've realised why. I've been so focused on work, and other such stuff that my creative mojo has gone out the window, and I miss it.

I've made the decision to render myself poor and not find work, but enjoy being a tourist here in The Heartland Province a.k.a The Province of Opportunity (dated, official provincial slogan, formerly seen on provincial highway construction project signs).

So I have been wandering around the area alot more and once again making observations.

I love walking down Yonge Street after dark. Yonge Street is quite literally the longest street in North America - or so I have been told. I googled and confirmed it.

During the day it is not the best looking street, its businessy, and around my area it has a lot of Persian and Asian stores and rubbish which collects on the street and surrounds, a little slovenly in my honest opinion. At nighttime however it is like a different street.

As the less than fortunate in the looks department use make up to dress themselves up and sparkle, so Yonge Street uses the darkness in a similar way. With the lights, and the activity of people coming home, and going out for meals, the street takes on a fairytale quality and with the fine chill in the air walking down the street I feel like I am wandering in a music video, or movie montage. Particularly if I choose appropriate music.

Toronto has 3 million inhabitants, and many of them are immigrants. In fact, Toronto is the most ethnically diverse city in the world.

This has led to a couple of interesting things that I can note of, and again, these are my own observations, as I have to keep reminding people , things are different to each person.

I have noted that the food selection here is incredible. I have just started a new diet regime, actually I don't like the word diet, more because it sounds like a temporary thing to attempt to get into a bikini -for me this is a life change. I've been processed wheat free for about 2 weeks now and I have to say I would have done it earlier had I realised the impact it was having on me. But I digress and will get back to that in the future.

The food, there is, of course all manner of Asian food, of Persian food, and , one I definitely wish to try, Caribbean food. There is also an amazing selection of wheat-free, gluten free products, and include items like Ezekiel bread, which is now what I eat, which is not heavy like the selections we have in NZ and taste like normal bread, with the bonus of being less processed. It is made according to the Biblical recipe and in my humble opinion, I don't know how I could have survived on processed "normal" bread for so long.

There is nothing like a reformed "insert word here".

Click here to read a little on why Ezekiel bread is so healthy.

I've been keeping up with the news in New Zealand and the latest thing is apparently John Key saying something about a shirt being gay because it was red.

Now, because this is my personal blog and I can wax lyrical on what I like I shall say this. As a politician he probably should mind his words a little better, but I have to say that I use the word gay to describe something that is bad - like oh that's so gay that you split wine/vodka/milk (yeah right) on your shirt.

I am, by no means, a homophobe. Anyone who knows me knows this. However, when I was growing up , this was simply part of the slang that was there. Hell, I say it, then feel bad, then feel angry that I feel bad, then start an internal debate in my head about how the word gay originally was described as happy. Then I get annoyed at the PC bullshit of today, then I realise that without a bit of PC we would be stuck back in the 50s or earlier and I would hate for my gay friends to have to hide who they were or who they loved, etc. The place would also be rife with the likes of men like my ex Michael and no one wants that.

However it bothers me that people are so damn sensitive these days. It is just getting beyond the ridiculous,  and we are going to end up paying for it you mark my words. 

I like having a PM who is who he is. I would hate to have a constantly perfect political machine. That is not, what we as Kiwis, should be about. We need to learn to laugh a little more at who we are and just build a bridge and get over shit. I can't believe the amount of press this has gotten. Woopdef*ck 

Enough ranting. What else - oh I need to still put photos on about my pumpkin and I went to see Justin Hines - this is alot of words though so I'll tee that up for tomorrow.

Until then xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment