Thursday 26 July 2012

I know this can't be the Sound of Music but it's pretty damn close

My first two days in Sweden have had me living like I'm in the Sound of Music even though this isn't Vienna.

Why do you ask? Not because I've been hunted by Nazis and nuns although I did see some interesting styled nuns at the airport but mainly because of cycling and blueberry picking. If you don't get the blueberry reference watch the movie again :-)

So after chilling in the afternoon sun we headed over to Ida's friends place - Frida. Now firstly, it never gets dark here. I mean never - apparently its better than it was last month so at least it gets like a little darker but the sun is always shining - its totally random but cool at the same time.

We cycled over to Frida's - this is I swear how Swedes don't get fat. Also, alcohol is very expensive here so you tend to drink at home and then go out. Cycling. Did I mention the cycling. Don't drink, have a cigarette and expect not to die of unfitness while doing so.

Oh on alcohol - they don't sell it in supermarkets here only state owned stores that are not open after 7pm or something and are not open on Sundays and are only open until 2pm on Saturdays - a rather interesting system I'd like to see how Kiwis would react to that decision. It means you have to be very organised but I think its good in a way you can't just wander up the road and buy more booze if you run out because a/ the special store will probably be shut and b/ because you can't have anything to drink and drive so basically no.

And yes the Swedes are a beautiful race of people - I'm quite impressed, and not a little flattered as everyone speaks to me in Swedish - thanks to the Danish heritage apparently I blend in here ok.

Swedes are also incredibly hospitable and friendly I had a great evening! Then at one am we cycled home and honestly it was the best thing to do - I felt healthy and the fresh air was so nice.

I'm a little jet lagged to be honest so I've been resting up a bit. We went blueberry picking with Ida's father yesterday I called him Papa Svensk. And even though he was teasing me and told me about the snakes - yes snakes I didn't see any and the blueberries are so yummy.

You have to get in early because what happens is that they bring in immigrants like from Thailand and they work a ridiculously long day and strip all the blueberries off so the everyday Sven can't find any in the forest.

Papa Svensk and Lillasystar

Hot look - wellies and trackies


It doesn't look like alot but all in all we collected about 3 litres of blueberries and that is hellishly expensive to buy!

But your fingers get dyed from the berry juice.


Also, I ate moose for dinner. It was rather nice actually except I had to keep pushing down visions of the fact that I was eating Rocky and Bullwinkle characters. It tasted a little like softer beef.

Today Ida and I are going to chill a bit - I've been taking Melatonin to put myself back in to my natural Circadian Rhythm and then we are cycling into town and buying hair dye (this may end up being a disaster but hey we'll see) and chilling out having a systar night tonight.

Tomorrow we head with her brother and sister-in-law and some of their friends to their summer house where Ida thinks I will protect her from being thrown in the icy ocean but I'm not sure at this stage hee hee we'll see!

I will have a good search for my camera and upload some piccies later this afternoon.

xxxxx AMP

1 comment:

  1. I've got to say, cycling around everywhere, especially at night in the fresh air, would be awesome. How are you getting to sleep if the sun is up all the time, it must take a lot to get use to. Wow, you had moose! To be honest it sounded delicious when you said it was a softer meat. Can't wait for the photos, and you've gota post a video of you guys riding a bike. Also looking forward to seeing photos of Ida getting thrown into The Atlantic ocean, oh especially when she gets out and is shivering like mad.

    ReplyDelete